Student Association

Assembly passes resolution on class cancellation policy, discusses RSOs

The Student Association had passed a pair of resolutions and discussed a third during its weekly meeting, which lasted about an hour.

During the meeting Monday night in Maxwell Auditorium, the assembly talked about a resolution calling for syllabi to be altered, a resolution calling for changes to the class cancellation policy and discussed a resolution dealing with Recognized Student Organizations.

The first resolution discussed during the meeting called for Syracuse University to add sexual and relationship violence resources to class syllabi. The assembly briefly discussed the resolution before voting to pass it.

The second resolution that passed during the meeting calls for SU to make changes in its class cancellation policy. The resolution asks SU to consider including subzero temperatures in the cancellation policies for class, which it currently does not do.

An RSO liaison proposal was also discussed during the meeting. The proposal asks each assembly member to reach out to four RSOs and set up times to meet and have a conversation.

Alejandra Avina, director of student engagement for SA and presenter of the proposal, said in an interview that she wants there to be more communication on campus, and that the RSO proposal is meant for the organizations and to help clarify things for them.

“The more community feeling that we can have on this campus, the better,” she said.

Avina said that is why SA should have Impact Week, an event that did not happen for the past two semesters. In addition, she said SA should let RSOs know about everything during this week because of how much else is happening around campus, including Greek Week and Health and Wellness Week. “Just tap into that,” she said.

Registration for Impact Week begins this week. Impact Week is an event that is dedicated to service on the SU campus and in the community.

Avina said that while she is new to SA, this is something she wanted to see come back.

“We are the defender of the students. We are an advocacy group, so why not know about RSOs?” she said.

“This is not a bill,” Avina said. “This is something that we are asking our assembly members to help us make possible.”