The Basketball Tournament

Meet Boeheim’s Army: Willie Deane

Michael Burke | Asst. News Editor

Willie Deane is the lone Boeheim's Army member who didn't play at Syracuse. His relationship with Eric Devendorf earned him a spot as the starting PG on the team.

A group of former Syracuse men’s basketball players will get together for a chance at $2 million in the 2016 edition of The Basketball Tournament starting this Saturday. The team is fittingly named Boeheim’s Army, composed of former Purdue guard Willie Deane and nine former Orange that span a decade of SU head coach Jim Boeheim’s tenure. Last year the squad bowed out in the Elite Eight against eventual champions City of Gods. This year, second-seeded Boeheim’s Army faces No. 15 seed Basketball City NYC at 7:30 p.m. on Saturday at Philadelphia University to begin its quest toward the cash prize. Follow along all week as we introduce you to the team’s players and coach ahead of the matchup.

Willie Deane

Deane, a former Purdue guard, is on the team because of his friendship with Eric Devendorf from playing overseas against the former Syracuse guard. He ran the point for Boeheim’s Army last summer, averaging 13.8 points and 5.3 assists per contest in the team’s run to the Elite Eight.

Deane played one season at Boston College before transferring to play for the Boilermakers. He had 19 different stints with pro teams and currently plays for Ventspils of the Latvian Basketball League. He’s won three Bulgarian championships, one French championship, an Italian championship and a Bulgarian Cup.

A sustainable career overseas has seen Deane score 12 points per game while dishing out over three assists per contest. He has some more help this year with former SU guard Brandon Triche in the backcourt, and figures to factor prominently in a stronger Boeheim’s Army team this summer.

Meet Boeheim’s Army: 

Rick Jackson

Terrence Roberts

Baye Moussa Keita

Donte Greene