Men's Soccer

Nate Edwards’ passion, natural ability fueled immediate success on the field

Griffin Uribe Brown | Contributing Photographer

Nate Edwards has started all 18 games for Syracuse in defense this season. His love for soccer stemmed from a friend's suggestion to pick up the sport.

Nate Edwards grabbed a permanent marker 12 years ago and headed to his bedroom. He hadn’t played soccer for long but the sport invigorated a passion that Edwards never experienced before, his mother, Kayan, said.

On his wall, Edwards etched a brief message that still motivates him today: “I will be a professional soccer player at a very high level. I will be so good that my name will be remembered, turning nothing into something. #TrustTheProcess.”

Now, Edwards is in his first season at Syracuse after three years at Purdue University Fort Wayne. Displaying versatility on both flanks, he’s quickly established himself as one of the Atlantic Coast Conference’s most consistent wingbacks, starting all 18 games for SU and notching one goal and three assists.

“We try to create space out wide and have Nate get into those areas,” said head coach Ian McIntyre after SU’s 2-0 win over Yale on Oct. 18. “I thought he did that with great service. Nate’s been awesome (for us).”

Edwards originally picked up soccer to increase his physical activity. He spent his early years as a quiet child in Brampton, Ontario. Without a hobby at the age of 10, a friend suggested that he take up soccer to increase his overall fitness.

“He just picked up soccer and never put it down,” said David Edwards, Nate’s father.

Edwards swiftly developed into one of the best players on his Brampton youth soccer team. His physical skills propelled him above his competition, but Edwards also became a vocal leader through positive communication among his teammates. The midfielder had used soccer to break out of his shell.

“I noticed that he was more outspoken,” David said. “He wouldn’t be afraid to have a conversation with different individuals at different points. I think soccer helped pull that out of him.”

Following stints with Canadian travel teams Brampton West and Bolton Wanderers, Edwards earned a chance to compete on the highly selective Vaughan Azzurri Football Club, coached by former professional manager and goalkeeper Carmine Isacco. The squad competes in the League1 Ontario, a semi-professional men’s soccer league sanctioned by the Canadian Soccer Association.

“(Edwards’) pace of play with the ball and individual ability to beat people at that pace is something that he grew into,” Isacco said. “He’s still one of the most explosive players we have.”

To stay in shape, Edwards took his cardio training to new heights. His parents ordered a treadmill for the basement, which Edwards used almost every day. He also created a running program on a nearby track to improve his speed.

Syracuse has always been a dream school for me. I've seen a lot of Canadians come here and do well and excel. I've watched them from the outside, and I know they're an amazing team.
Nate Edwards, Syracuse defender

While at Vaughan, Edwards also played with his high school team at St. Edmund Campion in the spring. By competing for both simultaneously, Edwards brought new knowledge to the high school game by utilizing the skills he learned at the semi-professional level. He became so influential on his teammates that he earned Campion’s Captains Award as a freshman — an annual honor given to the best athlete on campus. It was the first piece of hardware Edwards received for his soccer skills.

“(His teammates) were leaning on him. You could hear the conversation changing, and he thought, ‘Wow, I have some value,’” Kayan said.

Greg Spagnoli, Campion’s head coach for grades 11-12, was impressed initially by Edwards’ “tireless” demeanor and effort. Spagnoli deployed the versatile midfielder in various positions depending on the Bears’ formations, including right back and wingback.

Edwards led Campion to the Regional Association Championship semifinal during his junior year in 2019. The Bears revamped their roster the following year, and won two preseason tournaments with Edwards as a starting midfielder. But the COVID-19 pandemic cut the season short, wiping away Edwards’ senior campaign.

“He got short changed. I think we would have been very successful,” Spagnoli said. “It was a strong group, and he played a significant part in that.”

Following his high school career, Edwards committed to Purdue Fort Wayne. He started in 39 games over three seasons and led the Mastodons with 24 shots in 2022.

But Edwards needed to up his competition to receive more exposure from professional scouts. The midfielder connected with McIntyre last winter and officially transferred to SU in February 2023. He joined Olu Oyegunle and Jahiem Wickham as the third Brampton native on the Orange’s roster.

To tune up for ACC play, Edwards returned to Vaughan last summer alongside Syracuse teammate Josh Belluz. Edwards tallied one goal and averaged over 85 minutes played in five matches with the club, which finished third of 21 teams in the 2023 regular season.

Now at SU, Edwards is one step closer to becoming a professional soccer player, a goal he spelled out on his bedroom wall years ago.

“Syracuse has always been a dream school for me. I’ve seen a lot of Canadians come here and do well and excel. I’ve watched them from the outside, and I know they’re an amazing team,” Edwards said.